“The LORD Jesus Christ”
“Jesus” means Savior.
“Christ” means Anointed One.
“LORD” means exactly that – He is our Sovereign LORD and Ruler.
He is our Anointed Savior and LORD. (Dwell on that for a while.)
One of my favorite Bible teacher’s is Harold Willmington. He has written a number of books. The one in front of me right now is, “Willmington’s Complete Guide to Bible Knowledge”. This volume is on the ‘Life of Christ.’
In the ‘Introduction’, the author writes —
• The Old Testament opens up with, man made in the image of God. (Genesis 1:26)
• The New Testament begins with God made in the image of man. (Matthew 1:23)
• In the Old Testament, we see the sheep dying for the shepherd. (Genesis 4:2-4)
• In the New Testament, we read of the Shepherd dying for the sheep. (John 10:11)
“This glory story begins with His arrival as the Lamb of Jehovah and concludes with His ascension as the Lion of Judah.
I love the way Willmington describes the occupations of Jesus:
1. Creator — John 1:3, “All things were created through Him and apart from Him, not one thing was created that has been created.”
2. Redeemer – 1 Peter 1:18-19, “For you know that you were redeemed from your empty way of life inherited from the fathers, not with perishable things, like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ like that of a lamb, without defect or blemish.”
3. Prophet – Matthew 13:57, “And they were offered by Him. But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his household.’”
4. Priest – Hebrews 3:1, “Therefore, holy brothers and companions in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession.” 4:14, “Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens – Jesus the Son of God – let us hold fast to our confession.
5. King – Revelation 19:16, “And on His robe and on His thigh, He has a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”
6. Shepherd – John 10:11, “I am the good Shepherd. The good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”
7. Judge – John 5:22, “The Father, in fact, judges no one but has given all judgment to the Son.”
8. Carpenter (Joan, my Administrative Assistant, remembered this. I can’t believe Dr. Willmington forgot this one.) Mark 6:3 “Isn’t this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and the brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And aren’t His sisters here with us?” So they were offended by him.” (I found my heart stirred within me as I read the verses.
I want to conclude this meditation about “The Lord Jesus Christ” by focusing our attention on John 1:1-5, “In the beginning was the WORD, and the WRD was with God, and the word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not.”
Let me encourage each of us to make much of Jesus and to rejoice in Him.